But after many years, Jacob decided to go back and meet with Esau. He sent messengers to Esau telling him about his return, his messengers came back saying that Esau is coming with 400 men. How do you think Jacob felt? Afraid? He was afraid that Esau is coming to attack them.
So Jacob prayed to God. He told God how afraid he was and asked God to save them. Then, he divided all his servants into 3 groups. Each group had gifts of goats, rams, camels, bulls, cows and donkeys. He sent them ahead of him and his family to meet Esau. He told them to say to Esau "The animals belong to your servant Jacob. They are a gift sent to my lord Esau, and he is coming behind us." He thought that maybe he could pacify his brother with the gifts.
When the time came when Jacob saw his brother Esau, he went ahead of his wife and children. He bowed down to the ground as he came to his brother. But Esau ran to him, embraced him and kissed him. So, Jacob and Esau were reconciled. Esau had forgiven Jacob and was so happy to see all his family. Their sad story had a happy ending after all.
Read this story from Genesis 32-33.
1. When Jacob went back to meet Esau, how did Esau respond?
2. How did Jacob feel? What did he do?
3. When Jacob and Esau met, what happened?
4. What lessons can we learn from this reconciliation of Jacob and Esau? (Jacob learned to humble himself and seek forgiveness; Esau learned to forgive his brother).
5. What should you do when you have done something wrong to someone? What should you do when somebody asks forgiveness from you?
MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 6:12
Forgive us our sins as we also have forgiven others.
(Explain the verse especially the truth that God has forgiven us first of our sins, so we should also learn to forgive others.)
1. Coloring Page: Jacob and Esau Reconcile; Memory Verse
2. Forgive and Forget game. This is really fun and reinforces the lesson on forgiveness.
3. The Disappearing Handkerchief trick - to illustrate God's forgiveness
This video shows how the trick is done. It requires a magic trick prop to buy but maybe you can improvise. I thought that maybe you can use masking tape. Cover your thumb with several layers of masking tape then remove it and use it as the prop. Or maybe you can use a surgical glove and cut off the thumb portion. You have to think of some way to make it hold its shape though.