But the problem is, Abraham was already old, in fact he's already 99 years old and his wife Sarah is barren and past the age of childbearing, and they still don't have a child. Do you think God can fulfill his promise to Abraham?
One day, Abraham saw three visitors nearby his tent. These visitors were really angels from God. He hurriedly went to them and invited them over and prepared something for them to eat and drink. While eating, they asked "Where is Sarah?" Abraham said, "There in the tent." Then, they said that "Surely at about this time next year, Sarah will have a son." When Sarah heard this, she laughed to herself thinking how can that be when she and Abraham are old. Then the angel said, "Why did Sarah laugh? Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Sarah then lied and said "I did not laugh." But the angel said, "Yes, you did laugh." (Please read this account in Genesis 18:1-15)
Soon, the Lord did for Sarah what he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore a son. Abraham gave the name Isaac. Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born. (Read from Genesis 21:1-7)
1. What did God promise to Abraham?
2. Why can't Abraham and Sarah have a child? How can God's promise be fulfilled?
3. What did the angels from God tell Abraham?
4. Why did Sarah laugh?
5. Did God fulfill his promise? How?
6. What can we learn from our story today? (God fulfills his promise. When He makes a promise, He is faithful to fulfill it. We should believe what God says.)
MEMORY VERSE: Genesis 18:14
Is anything too hard for the Lord?
- Abraham coloring pages. Abraham looking at the stars.
- Simple foam star on Popsicle stick. See the video tutorial here. Alternatively, you can use yellow colored paper (or any colored paper you like) and draw stars on them which the kids can cut. Help them in drawing a face on the stars then glue the stars on a Popsicle stick. If you wish, you can glue the stars first on cardboard, cut and paste them to the Popsicle stick.
- Kirigami simple star. You can also make this simple paper star - similar to origami.