Hi Kids! Do you still remember who Jacob is? Jacob married Leah and Rachel and had 12 sons from both of them. Joseph is the favorite of Jacob among all his sons and he made a colorful coat for him. Because of this, Joseph's brother were very jealous and hated him.
To make matters worse, Joseph had a dream which he told his brothers. He dreamed that all of them were binding sheaves of grain, and then his brothers' sheaves bowed down to his sheaf. This made his brothers even angrier because of the thought that Joseph will reign over them.
Another dream came upon Joseph where the sun, moon and eleven stars bowed down to him. When his brothers heard this dream, they are really, really angry.
So one day, while the brothers are grazing their father's sheep and Joseph came to see them, they planned to kill him. They changed their mind though and simply dropped Joseph inside a pit. When the brothers saw some Ishmaelites going to Egypt, they decided to sell Joseph to them for 20 pieces of silver instead of killing him.
To cover up what the brothers did to Joseph, they took Joseph's coat and dipped it in the blood of goat. When Jacob saw his favorite son's coat, he cried thinking that Joseph was killed by a wild animal.
It looks really sad what happened to our story but this is just the beginning of a wonderful ending.
Read this story from Genesis 37
1. How many sons did Jacob have?
2. What can you say about the relationship of his sons? Why is that?
3. Do you think it's okay to be jealous? Why or why not? (It causes big problems like what happened to Joseph and destroys relationships.)
4. Have you ever been jealous? When? Share your experience.
5. It's not okay to be jealous because it destroys relationships. What do you think can you do to stop being jealous?
MEMORY VERSE: 1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
Although we naturally feel jealous sometimes, it is not what God wants for us. He wants us to love and be patient with other people especially among the family members.
There's plenty of things the kids can do for this lesson. Find some inspiration from these images below from Pinterest.
1. You can draw a simple coat and paint it with different colors of water color or cut out different colors of paper strips and paste them onto the figure.
2. You can also try to weave different colored strips onto a coat background. This can be used for helping display the memory verse.
3. You can also use tissue paper roll to make different puppets of the 12 sons of Israel and use them to retell the story.