Do you remember our lesson last time when God called Abraham? Do you remember what God told Abraham to do? What did Abraham do? Do you remember who are the people that went with him? One of those who came with Abraham was his nephew, Lot. Our lesson today will be about him found in Genesis 13:1-18.
Abraham and Lot are both shepherds and as they traveled, their animals like sheep and goats went with them. The time came that their flock grew in number and the land could not support them altogether. The helpers of Abraham and the helpers of Lot started quarreling because of this.
Then Abraham said to Lot "Let's not have quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers. There's much land around us. Let's part company. If you go to the left, I'll go to the right. If you go to the right, I'll go to the left." Then. Lot made his choice of the land to the East and Abraham went to the West. They parted ways peacefully.
Ask the kids after telling the story
1. What do Abraham and Lot have in common?
2. Why did their herdsmen/helpers quarrel?
3. What did Abraham do to stop the quarrel?
4. What good quality did Abraham show in this story?
5. Do you quarrel? Is it good to quarrel? What should you do when you're in quarrel with your siblings or friends or playmates?
Teach the children to handle conflicts. This is a good time to teach about sharing, giving and forgiving. Ask the kids to make a choice by giving examples of familiar situations like
1. You have a new toy, what should you do with it when you see your friend? (Share the new toy with his friend.)
2. Your friend doesn't want to lend you her new toy, what should you do? (Learn to wait for your turn)
3. Your friend doesn't want to do what you want when you are playing, what should you do? (Don't feel bad because he may not want to play the game. Think of other games you can play together.)
Think of other situations the kids can relate to.
MEMORY VERSE: Romans 12:18
"Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone."
Abraham and Lot coloring page.
Make a sheep craft. You will find lots of simple craft ideas for kids making sheep on this page. You can follow the instructions or just improvise. This can be done prior to telling the story or afterward. You can also choose any of the sheep coloring pages here and instead of coloring, you can ask the kids to glue cotton on the sheep.